Construction of forest access roads : Extension project for roads ” H section West ” and ” I “ (Phase II)
Step in the procedure
Information on the projet
Matériaux Blanchet inc.
Subscribe to the email alerts for this project
Need more information ?
Contact-us by email at [email protected]
The company Matériaux Blanchet Inc. planned to build a pair of major access roads in the km 105 sector of the Billy-Diamond Highway (Route 109) and Lake Quénonisca. These two forest roads are located on Category III lands.
Following the public hearings held on the territory and an analysis conducted by the COMEX, a condensed version of the project was authorized in 2016.
The following request to amend the certificate of authorization plans to extend :
- forest access road H west from its current authorized northern limit (south shore of the Salamandre River) to the proposed limit in the initial impact study (extension of 13 km);
- forest access road I from its current authorized northern limit to the proposed limit in the initial impact study (extension of 29 km).
Details on location
The main axis, major access road “I,” about 88 km long, begins near km 5 of forest road N-823 (also called chemin km 105), passes to the south of Lake Salamander, along the west side of Lake Quénonisca and goes to the south shore of the Broadback River, about 3 km to the east of the Salamander River’s mouth. The first 21 kilometers of this major access road borrow a network of secondary access roads that will require upgrading, while the north section of road will have to be built. Major access road H, West section, with a total length of 38 km to be built, starts from about km 21 on major access road I and goes to the south shore of the Broadback River about 1 km west of the mouth of the Salamander River.
Amendment to the certificate of authorization and additional information
Documents produced by the COMEX
- 2021-04-07 COMEX Extension of forest access roads ” H section West ” and ” I “ Questions and comments, April 2021, 2 pages (french only)
Documents submitted by the public
- 2022-05-20 Letter from the Cree First Nation of Waswanipi, May 2022, 4 pages
- 2023-02-15 Letter from the Natural Resources Defence Council - NRDC, December 2021, 3 pages
Table provided by MELCC
- Access to the certificates of authorization (CA), to the modifications and to the attestations of exemption since January 1st, 2000 (in French only)
Some of the information on this website may have been supplied by external sources. The Review Committee assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, timeliness or reliability of information supplied by external sources. Users wishing to rely on this information should consult directly with the appropriate source.